Housekeeping

Fri Apr 14 09:30:27 EDT 2006

Just wanted to set a few comments/errors straight.

> <snip> Fat chance anybody ever saw that Powatan Arrow ever carrying

> green signals for a following section.

For starters, it the correct spelling is "Powhatan" not "Powatan."

I don't have the exact date handy as I only made notes rather than a
copy, but at least on one occasion during a snow storm, somewhere about
1952-53, when the newspapers reported on such details. The Roanoke
paper reported that "The Powhatan Arrow left Roanoke eastbound
yesterday in two sections." and that is indeed, a direct quote from the
paper.

> After all, how many people needed to ride a train between a deadend

> point like Norfolk and Cincinnati? Except for possibly the mail

> and express contract,

To my knowledge, the Arrow did not carry any baggage or express until
late in the 1950s. There was the occasional car moved of storage mail
in the late 1950s. However, to the best of my knowledge, even then
there was not a specific contract for movement of mail on the Arrow.

If Cincinnati was such a "deadend point", why did such railroads as
C&O, B&O, NYC, L&N, Southern, Pennsylvania, N&W and probably some I
have forgotten, offer service to there. At one time several roads
offered service to and from Norfolk as well.

> <snip> And at intermediate stops, the conductor probably knew the

> passengers that got on and off the train by their first names.

Not very likely, the Arrow was a through train, not a local. The only
intermediate stops between Norfolk and Cincinnati were Petersburg,
Crewe, Lynchburg, Roanoke, Christiansburg, Bluefield, Welch,
Williamson, Kenova and Portsmouth.

> The ACL made a profit on passenger traffic and did not write it off as

> a liability. To compare passenger traffic between the N&W and the ACL

> is downright laughable.

I don't think anyone but you was making such comparisons.

> Amtrak never was weak enough to offer passenger service in or out of

> Roanoke from any direction.

Amtrak's Mountaineer ran Norfolk-Cincinnati-Chicago beginning in March
25, 1974, replaced by the Hilltopper May 31, 1977, with no interruption
in service, between Boston, Richmond, Roanoke and Cattletsburg, Ky.
Train was discontinued with budget cuts September 30, 1979.

> <snip> There must have been a valid reason to call it "The Standard

> Railroad Of The South." Bill Sellers

Names and slogans were easily chosen by railroads, with no real
questions from people on those claims of validity. I seriously doubt
that anyone but the ACL or an advertising agency came up with that
term. It is not like a government decree, it is a sales slogan. Just
because it is said, does not make it so. You can look at any of the
following and find ready exceptions or arguments to the validity of
such: The Southern serves the South, Route of Courteous Service, The
Old Reliable, even N&W's Precision Transportation, etc. All of these
were all chosen by the railroads themselves.

Ken Miller