Strange motive power

Fri Mar 31 12:15:25 EST 2006

Was the locomotive in primer? I see quite a few of these, often referred to as "stealth" locomotives because they haven't received their finished paint yet. The GE Dash 9's are numbered in the 9900 series and 7500 series after they rolled over past 9999 (I think.) and the SD 70's are in the 2600 series now. They are gray and stensiled with their road number and "NS" in black. They're not uncommon. I guess NS tries to save a few bucks by painting them themselves, or else they're so short for power they can't wait for the paint to dry!

Ben Blevins

While on my way back from Roanoke late this afternoon I took 460 and
happened upon the tail end of a westbound hopper train. I managed to get to
the head end of it only once and had no luck catching it anywhere to get a
GOOD glance at the lead locomotive. It was pulled by two locomotives, the
first unlettered in a grey color, the second was a BNSF unit. I shot a
hurried picture out the side window of my van around Elliston or
Shawville... other than that all I ever managed to get a glimpse of were the
hoppers at a couple crossing including at Montgomery Tunnel.... Any ideas on
what it may have been? was mid-afternoon, prolly 3-ish, if the time of the
sighting makes any difference....