PRR Horseshoe Curve HAH!

Mon Jan 23 16:58:51 EST 2006

Nice photo: had seen the track diagram of the Loop Junction area many years
ago, but until now never a photo. Similar loops on the early 1900's western
approach to Stevens Pass on the GN (actually two loops in a distance of 5
miles). And two locations on the Cumbres and Toltec; a single loop at mp 330
(Tanglefoot Curve), and a double loop at mp 296 - 297, known as The Whiplash.

Interesting to me; sometimes modelers try to work out track plans so we
CAN'T see both ends of the train; but the prototype did it to overcome a grade in
a constricted space. And we have not even mentioned spirals in which one
track crosses above another !

Jerome Crosson