Fabrication of N&W Number Boards

Mon Jan 16 17:36:41 EST 2006

At the Gaithersburg, MD Railroadiana show a few years ago, a dealer
had a piece of the nose of Class J 608 for sale. It had been torched
from the nose and was about 12 inches square and contained a
numberboard. I was surprised to see that the stencil within it was
cut from rubber. Memory tells me the price was several hundred
dollars. However the sight of the thing made me sick.

Rick Morrison