Just got back from Bluefield

Sat Dec 31 13:30:40 EST 2005

Get me you e-mail and I'll send you info over a period of time to help your next itinerary.

A life time to traveling up and down 52 and all the side roads including the dirt ones along the backwoods r/w.

oford at zoominternet.net

Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 11:21 PM
Subject: Re: Just got back from Bluefield

Jeff and all,

We saw a lot of activity but mostly at the loading facilities at Keystone. We saw 3 merchandise freights on the main during our outing and one empties train coming through the yard at Bluestone heading west on Wednesday morning. Don't know where that one was going. I wish we had chased it. It may have taken the switch to Saint Paul. We never stayed in one spot long enough to watch trains march by. We may have missed a lot there as well.

When we went up the Tug to Filbert there were coal trucks coming down the road so I'm not sure they are loading rail cars there now. However, There was a hi-rail truck and railroad employees doing something on the track after the fork in the track heading up to Filbert. I took pictures of the coke ovens at Elbert. Does anyone know of picture of these when they were active.

It's truly amazing how much stuff I missed. This was a last minute and not well planned trip. But lately work has interfered with all things planned so it's good just that we went.

I have been combing through issues of the arrow and railroad atlas' and other stuff. I could have used an entire day (from day break until dark) on the Bluestone Branch or on the Tug. I wish I knew where I was when I was in the branch. Not much marked. At one time we stopped where there must have been coal operations because the ground was soaked with oil and coal.

Most of all, As a model railroader I was amazed at how close the coal camps were to one another on the mainline (WV52). Did this happen because as one mine played out they built another or is it just natural that the coal seems were so many hundred yards apart and they tapped them all at the same time?

Many Thanks to all who answer this rather green 42 olds questions. And here's to a Happy and Safe New Year.

Tom Lewis