First J to be scrapped

Thu May 12 18:48:10 EDT 2005

Gary, According to the N&W Ry. book on Pocahontas Coal Carrier , by
R.E.Prince, they list the J's, in the order of scrapping by.month/yr as
follows.     Road #    Scrap Date Mo/Yr
                                                                     604
       10-1958
                                                                     602
        1-1959
                                                                     601,613
      3-1959
                                                                     603
        4-1959
                                                                     606,609
      5-1959
                                                               600,605,608
    6-1959
                                                               607,610,612
    8-1959

These dates are those on the books N&W shows. The date the tourch hit the
metal is unknown. Location of the scrapping efforts I don't know but some
were at the Junk yard ,east of the Portsmouth Yard (Now gone) and some at
Moskowitz Bros. at Cincinnati. I have photos of both but will have to find
them. I live in south Texas in the winter and the photos are up north.Hope
this narrows your question down a little.

Bob Stump<clishay026 at hotmail.com>