"New" CPLs at Roanoke

Fri Apr 15 14:01:55 EDT 2005

If I may put in my 2 cents worth here;

First of all I am thrilled that NS did indeed install CPL's at this location.  I was certain that they would be the Safetran three light model they've put up everywhere else.

Now, as to why?  Who knows.  It could be a cost factor, since NS is putting absolutely nothing into their signal budget, and the new signals are terribly expensive.  I do believe its cheaper to refurbish a signal arm than to buy a new one.

I do not believe these signal arms would be "new" however.  If so, they would be Safetran's horrid looking copy of a CPL, not a US&S unit.  They went out of production years ago, and were made from cast iron, black pipe, and had a galvanized target face.  Point being, they are HEAVY!  The safetran CPL's are aluminum, and flat across the back of the target face.  The reason for that is US&S had a patent on that spider frame design, and probably still does, (but I don't know for sure).

Anyway, the next time I'm in Roanoke I'll photograph and investigate this new installation.

Ben Blevins
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org wrote:
Galen,

They are not the original signals that were on the 1st Street Bridge. The
original signals stayed on the bridge while the new ones were being
assembled on the ground before lifting into their final position about 3
weeks ago. The new signals are either new or refurbished from somewhere else.

The 1st Street Bridge will be undergoing renovation and a few of us are
speculating that NS just wanted to move the signals out of harms way. It
would be nice to hear why CPLs instead of "stoplight" (Southern) style
signals were used.

Ron Davis