Foundry

Tue Apr 12 15:00:18 EDT 2005

April 10, 2005

Hello, Ron:

Do you still have the foundry equipment?  I need some
hooks and other small parts for a Railway Post Office
(RPO) restoration.  If you can do something larger, I
also need pedistals cast that supported distributing
tables in RPOs.  These are roughly 40 inches tall by 8
by 10 inches over the largest dimensions.  If you
don't but can refer me to someone who can work on
these, I'd appreciate the referral.

Best wishes,

Frank

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.
f_scheer at yahoo.com
(202) 268-2121 - weekday office
(540) 837-9090 - weekend afternoons
in the former N&W station on VA rte 723
117 East Main Street
Boyce  VA  22620-9639

Frank,

Yes, I set that up just a few years ago.  Right now I have too many
projects going (Including that model of the Lambert's Pt. turntable) to
take on another one.  If you lived closer I would be able to show you
how produce those parts.

Places you might try:
1. If you have a nearby high school that still has shops, (Most high
schools eliminated shops under the the idiotic idea that today's high
school students are all going on to be lawyers or MD's and don't need
shop.) you might find a teacher who can fabricate those parts.  At one
time there were four foundry teachers at the school were I taught
physics, and they did lots of outside projects.

2.  Many of the Jr. Colleges have art departments that do bronze casting
using wax and ceramic slurry.

3. A number of Colleges/Universities still have programs that include
some casting of metals.

4. If you search the Internet you will find that there are a number of
sites for people interested in metal casting.  Chaski, Yahoo, and Google
all have groups devoted to metal casting.

I will email you some photos.

Yours,
Ron Peisker