Durham District in the 50's

Sun Apr 3 17:49:10 EDT 2005

Good afternoon Mr. Edwards,

I am from Roxboro and it sounds as if we are about the same age. I remember
hearing the sounds of horns of the trains as they crossed Hwy 49 N and Depot
St  just down from Downtown several times a day, especially in the late
afternoon  just after school let out.  I have a little information and I  invite
others on the mail list to fill in the gaps or correct any  mistakes.

The Employee Time Table No. 11, effective June 19, 1949 lists the  following
trains:

Daily passenger trains from Lynchburg Union Station to Durham Union  Station
Train #37, left Lynchburg 8:00 am, ar. Woodsdale 10:22 am, ar.  Durham 11:45
am

Train #35, left Lynchburg 12:35 pm, ar. Woodsdale 2:59  pm, ar. Durham 4:05 pm

Daily passenger trains from Durham Union Station  to Lynchburg Union Station
Train #36, left Durham 3:00 pm, ar. Woodsdale 4:06 pm,  ar. Lynchburg 6:30 pm

Train #38, left Durham 5:00 pm, ar. Woodsdale 6:10 pm,  ar. Lynchburg 8:45 pm

Daily scheduled freight trains
Train # 93, left Lynchburg 10:10 pm, ar. Woodsdale 3:40 am, ar. Durham 6:00
am

    This is listed as a 3rd class daily freight.

Train # 71, left Lynchburg 8:25 am, ar. Woodsdale 1:45 pm, ar. Durham 4:45
pm.

Train # 72, left Durham 6:30 am, ar. Woodsdale 8:45 am,  ar. Lynchburg 2:45
pm.
    These trains are listed as 4th class local freight  that ran daily except
Sunday.

Trains 37 and 38 were discontinued in 1950.  They are absent from  Time Table
No. 13, effective June 1, 1950.  Woodsdale is listed as a flag  stop on this
time table while on No. 11 it was still a scheduled stop.

Trains 35 and 36 last ran on August 28, 1954.  This was  documented in the
Roxboro paper, The Courier=Times and the Durham Morning Herald  and are absent
from Time Table No. 7, effective August 29, 1954.  On the  following Monday,
Trains 71 and 72 were upgraded to mixed class trains by having  a combine
attached to the end and selling tickets.

Trains 71 and 72 were converted back to local freight at the end  1957.  I
think Dec. 31st was the last day of mixed train service as Time  Table No. 13,
effective January 1, 1958 has these trains moved back to 4th class  local
freight.

In December, 1959 trains 71 and 72 were renumbered 47 and 48.

I do not know when regular freight service was discontinued in the Durham
District.  I am still working on that one.  I know that N&W closed  the Roxboro
Station on Nov. 25, 1987.  The station was demolished in  October of 1990.
The N&W agent in South Boston became responsible  for freight in Roxboro and the
surrounding area. The track was abandoned south  of Roxboro all the way to
Durham.  It was torn up just south of Picks  Siding and past Helena
(Timberlake).  From that point on to the old  Durham Belt line the track is still intact
with old mile posts and switch stands  standing quietly in the woods.  There is
still periodic freight service to  the Camp Chemical Plant in south Roxboro.
They make fertilizer and are a  receiving and shipping point for beans and
other farm  products. I think they get a couple or three covered hoppers a week,
 maybe more. At the edge of their property there is a sign from N&W that
says "End of Track."

In a posting some time last summer or fall it was mentioned that  the writer
was on a work crew that was doing track maintenance in the  Durham District.
Hopefully someone can tell us more about the condition of  the rail bed.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you,
Chuck Stewart

Studying the Lynchburg and Durham RR
in Bahama (pronounced Bay-Hay-Ma), NC
_ces9705 at aol.com_ (mailto:ces9705 at aol.com)

In a message dated 3/30/05 5:47:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,