Virginia City

Wed Feb 9 09:30:22 EST 2005

Virginia City is a former coal mining town in eastern Wise County,
Virginia, located on the N&W's Clinch Valley Line approximately 4 miles
west of St. Paul and 8 miles east of Coeburn. In its heyday it was the
site of a Virginia Iron, Coal & Coke Co. coal tipple located on a spur
off of the CV mainline.

A photo of the Virginia City siding circa 1960 is in the Virginia Tech
Library digital image base at:
http://spec.lib.vt.edu/imagebase/norfolksouthern/full/nw1410.jpg

More information about Virginia City can probably be obtained from the
Wise County Historical Society. Its website is at:
www.wisevahistoricalsociety.org.

Paul Mandelkern
Winter Park, Florida