Belews Creek coal train

Thu Feb 3 09:53:22 EST 2005

At 3:24 PM -0500 2/2/05, Harry wrote:
>Ron:
>I must have given you some "bum" information.  I've been on two trips
>to the Duck Energy Plant at Belews Creek.  The first time was on the
>pushers, which didn't navigate the loop that isn't there.  The second
>time was on a "single", which cut the loads off in a track and returned
>to Belews Creek Jct.

Terraserver is your friend.  See http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=13&Z=17&X=365&Y=2509&W=3&qs=%7cBelews+Creek%7cnc

for both aerial photos and topo maps of the power plant.  According to the map, there is a loop track around the entire plant.  Parts of it are visible on the photo, although it gets lost in the shadows in places and isn't easy to trace.  As to how the track is used, I don't know, but at least in 1998 (the date of the photo) most of the loop did exist.

--
Bruce in Blacksburg         === In the heart of N&W territory. ===

Bruce B. Harper                              (540)231-4360
University Relations/Web Communications  bharper at vt.edu
Virginia Tech        Blacksburg, Virginia  26060
See N&W WWW Page at http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bharper/nwrwy/