Belews Creek coal train

Wed Feb 2 15:24:22 EST 2005

Ron:
I must have given you some "bum" information.  I've been on two  trips
to the Duck Energy Plant at Belews Creek.  The first time was on  the
pushers, which didn't navigate the loop that isn't there.  The  second
time was on a "single", which cut the loads off in a track and  returned
to Belews Creek Jct.

Since I haven't been in "the loop" for almost ten years now, I don't  know
what caused the volume of units northbound to Roanoke.  Holidays
can cause power and crew imbalances -- the crews are at one end of  the
district and the power is at the other.  Fifteen years or so ago,  there was
an imbalance of power created on the Clinch Valley.  A zealous  trainmaster
harbored power to serve "his" customers.  Apparently he had the  ability
to fake the System Operations Center out.  At one time, he stashed  a
dozen units on the Tom's Creek Branch.  A devastating winter storm  struck
Wise County.  The units eventually idled themselves out of fuel  and froze up.
                                                        Harry Bundy