N&W F units

Sat Dec 18 10:25:23 EST 2004

The Pepsi commercial F7 was Clinchfield 800.  Farmville was chosen for it's
all-American rural appearance.  This was also the time when D1 diner 494 was
renamed General William Mahone.   That one was really Frederick J. Kimball,
but the name swap was necessary because 493 had been selected by Amtrak.
The 493 was subsequently repurchased but then that's a whole different
story, best whispered among friends.
                                    Don Corbin
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 12:03 PM
Subject: Re: Re: N&W F units

> If I remember right there was a photo of an F unit in Framville Va. It was
used in a TV spot for a drink company? Not sure if it was an orig N&W unit
or not. But it was painted black with white NW on nose and sides. Hope this
helps.
> Fred Mullins

> > Date: 2004/12/17 Fri AM 10:05:28 EST
> > Subject: Re: N&W F units
> >
> > I photographed an F7 in Roanoke in 1972; the image appeared in an NWHS
calendar. Someone might erroniously infer that some of them operated in the
east. But the truth is the unit had returned from a lease to the CNJ and was
actually off the roster at the time I shot it. I spent a lot of time on the
N&W in the '60s and '70s and never saw an F7 in operation, nor did any of my
friends doing the same thing. Nor have I ever seen a photograph of one on
the 'old' N&W. The only first generation road units I ever saw were GP9/18s
and RS11s.