N&W F units

Fri Dec 17 11:51:12 EST 2004

As best I can determine, the F's stayed mainly on the old Wabash
territory, St Louis to Chicago and Detroit.  The Canadian-built units
stayed up in Canada as there was a significant tax reason for them to
not cross the US border and vice-versa.  There were some equipment
differences, too, I think between US and Canadian versions.  In late
1960's the CNJ leased some of the US built F-7's for use in New Jersey
and Pennsylvania.  In WAB territory, they ran in the three tone WAB
scheme or the WAB all-blue scheme in the early years after the lease
before being repainted into black or blue scheme.  I have never seen any
photographs of F's running on trains in the old ex-NKP territory or W&LE
territory.  The F-7's seem to have been tied to Decatur, IL maintenance
and never got far away from that area.

G Rolih Cincinnati, OH