Mallet Engines on the Saltville Branch - When?

Fri Oct 15 09:06:09 EDT 2004

Regarding the section of rail that was taken out by the U.S. Gypsum company,
my Ex is a native of Saltville, and if my memory serves me correctly, U.S.
Gypsum REALLY did take out that section of that track. I think that it was
sometime in the late 80's that one of their old mine shafts collapsed taking out a
section of that track. So, it is now somewhere under the old roadbed.
As an aside, when that happened, it trapped a group of NS cars in Saltville.
NS had stored a group of approx. 20 old Southern reefers up on the hill on the
east side of the Olin plant. So, with no way to get them out, NS sold them
off in place. I know that my Ex Bro-in-Law bought one for an outbuilding.

Omer Stowers  Salem, Va.