NW-Mailing-List Digest, Vol 6, Issue 18

Mon Sep 27 09:22:58 EDT 2004

Not to continually rehash old stories of the last steam engines in the US
Army, but this message reminded me that during one period in early 1971, the
Ft. Eustis Post Commander wanted to make some kind of statement about energy
conservation.  He pressed one or two of the 2-8-0's we had into stationary
boiler service.  Because they just sat for several months the tubes (as I
recall) got all clogged up and they were shortly retired from active service
for safety reasons.

Ed Svitil