N&W Amtrak service

Fri Sep 24 06:57:49 EDT 2004

The Cavalier (15 and 16) had been combined with the Powhatan Arrow (25
and 26) in April 1967. The combined 25-15, and 26-16 ran until May 23,
1969. That left The Pocahontas (3 and 4) as the sole remaining
Norfolk-Cincinnati service. The last run of Number 3 departed Norfolk
on April 30, 1971, and the last No. 4 arrived on May 1, 1971.

As Rick said, Amtrak did not adopt any N&W routes on its inception.
However, The Mountaineer was placed in service in March 1974, running
Norfolk-Cincinnati-Chicago. The Mountaineer was discontinued, I belive
in 1977, and replaced by The Hilltopper which no longer served Norfolk.

Ken Miller