2092

Fri Sep 3 10:19:13 EDT 2004

The messages about the 2092 rang a bell with me, literally. When I was about
16 in the late 50s and living in Lynchburg, Va., I was picking up plates and
so on from scrap yards.  People began to know that I was interested in railroad
"junk."  A local antique dealer, and there weren't many in those days,
brought me a bell to clean up for her to sell in her shop.  All she had been told
about it was that it was N&W and that the engine had been in a wreck a long time
prior. The cast iron cradle and brass bell were in fine shape, just very
dirty and tarnished. As I cleaned away the crud I found the number 2092 stamped
into the flat area at the top of the bell. It was a very deep stamp, probably
1/8th of an inch deep, I remember. While I was away in college in early 60s the
bell was sold and I never knew where it went.

Aubrey Wiley
Lynchburg, Va.