[N&W] Re: VGN Terminal

Mon May 31 15:04:11 EDT 2004

What would we need to do to initiate action to have the VGN station
designated as a state/national historic site?

Greg Harrod
Ditto - Growing up in Norfolk (Naw-fuk) near the VGN main line to the coal
piers, I have many fond memories of big steam and black & yellow
TrainMasters pulling the drags in and out. I'd be happy to help keep the
Virginian memory alive. How about a 'Buy a Brick' or similar campaign?
Bill Smith
Atlanta, GA
This is a reply to the letters posted by Greg Harrod, Mike Chamberlain, Jerry
Crosson, Ron Wilma, Charles Cantrell and others who believe that the old
Virginian Terminal which is still standing but very charred be saved and
turned into the shared vision that O. Winston Link and most of the N & W and
Virginian Historical Society
membership as well as the powers that be in Roanoke would like to see
completed. I seem to remember another passenger station in Suffolk that was
on the verge of being torn down and also was subject to vandals and a fire
that would have signaled the end of the structure. Then a group of concerned
citizens who did not want to see that part of their (and our) heritage
disappear because they realized that without the all important railroads that
served and continue to serve Suffolk made that city survive.
Now the torch (no pun intended) has passed to Roanoke with all of the
railroad history that makes that city wonderful. As members of the
Historical Society, we need to lead the charge to save this important
structure and bring the history of Mr. Links' art back to the state and
locality that deserves it the most. Let us join together and start the
necessary things like estimates from contractors, inspections from the
Roanoke Fire Department, tracking down architects and then initiate the
appropriate fund drives to accomplish this task. In the end, we can have a
superior location to house the photo collection and sound recordings of Mr.
Link, the Locomotive #1218 and a direct shuttle to the Virginia
Transportation Museum so the exhibits there can be incorporated into this
venture. If we can plan this right, the B & O Museum couldn't hold a candle
to our gem. Now is the time to fire up the box, stoke up the flames and get
the drivers moving. Together we can be part of a really GREAT thing that
will surely last for generations to come. I am willing to invest money and
time towards this project. Lets get on board and accomplish this!

Rob Wilson