[N&W] RE: Is station really Coal Grove?

Mon May 31 14:52:05 EDT 2004

Regarding the ARMCO steel shipments from Ashland, KY to ARMCO Middletown,
Ohio, NS and Conrail did get the business from CSX for a short while in
1996, if my memory serves me correctly on the date.  They would get the
steel ingots and slabs interchanged at Kenova and haul them to Portsmouth
and Cincinnati via the Peavine.  CR would have two GP38's waiting at Clare
Yard for the NS train,  179, which ran as a time freight in those
days.  The gons were cut off, grabbed and the race was on to get the train
to Middletown ARMCO over the CR/Big Four as soon as possible.

I don't recall how long this service lasted; it was only three to six
months.  But, I and others did photograph the hand-off at Clare Yard
numerous times.  It was fun to watch true expedited service; no time was
wasted in making moves!

CSX came back to regain the business with the newly built slab cars in
dedicated trains that they still use today.

  One last thing about Coal Grove.  It was named Petersburg until about
1895.  The rail car ferry was in Petersburg for the interchange of cars to
the C&O from the Ohio Southern/ Detroit Southern/ DT&I and the Scioto
Valley Railway as well as the IRON Railroad.  See Prince's N&W book for a
photo- also in V Tech collection- of the Kentucky end of the ferry.  The
Ohio end can be seen in Scott Trostles DT&I book recently reprinted.

Gary Rolih