[N&W] Re: Looking for a print

Wed May 12 22:43:39 EDT 2004

The N&W Steam Loco roaring past a drive-in movie is a Winston Link photo,
and a very good one!  It is can be found in one of his books, Steam Steele
and Stars, I think.  I suspect that the photo itself may be available in
poster form at the Virginia Museum of Transportation, if anywhere.  They
have a number of them, and that is where I would make the first inquiry.

Good luck!  I might add that that photo has superior artistic quality as
well, partly because of the contrast with the airplane and partly because it
shows an era of life clearly at the drive-in movie, and partly because it is
a good shot of steam power.

John McRae
_____________________________
O. Winston Link did this in about three or four ways.  One was with an A -
the 1242, and a jet plane on the screen.  Another had an actor on the screen
with another engine - I don't remember which one - passing.

But they are Links.  They were done at Iaeger, W. Va.

EdKing
_____________________________
[MATT FRANZEN writes:]

It's in the book STEAM STEEL & STARS a book of photos by O. Winston Link
published by Harry N. Abrams, inc. Hardcover in 1987. Paperback in 1994.
___________________________
It is a O Winston Link photo and I believe you can still get one from the VTM
in Roanoke.

Fred
____________________________
On page 124 and 125, as well as the outside rear jacket, of the book "Steam
Steel and Stars" by O. Winston Link I believe is the picture you are
referring to. ISBN 0-8109-1645-2, try Amazon.com or a local bookstore, or
the N&W Commissary.
JCT
____________________________
The title is "Hot Shot Eastbound", and you can get a copy of this print
through incredibleart.com for $28.00.  See
HTTP://www.incredibleart.com/iartlive/MyArt.asp?PN=btel&sku=2790

Eric MacCallan
____________________________
The picture that you want was made by famous N&W photographer O. Winston
Link.  Here is a link to everything O. Winston Link, by Chris Coleman.

http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/owlink.html
<A HREF="http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/owlink.html">Everything O. Winston
Link</A>
____________________________
Ken:

The print in question is an O. Winston Link shot!  Copies of the shot in
poster form can be bought from the Va. Museum of Transportation in Roanoke.

Jim Gillum
____________________________
You're a month early, the shot you're speaking of is the photo for May in
this year's O. Winston Link calendar, "Night Trains". You can get a copy
from the N&W HS

Ron Herfurth,
Charlottesville, Va
_____________________________
         The print you are looking for is a B&W photo by O. Winston Link, you
can find the photo in the book Steam, Steel And Stars, pages 124 & 125. I'm
not sure where to find an individual print.

J R Elliott
jayahr at home.com
_____________________________
Ken,

I don't know if a print is available, but the Winston Link photo you refer
to is entitiled "Hot Shot," and it's found towards the back of his book,
Steam, Steel, and Stars. This book was published in 1987 by Harry N.
Abrams, Inc., New York. You might try to contact Abrams.

John Black
Franklin, TN
_____________________________
Get last years   O winston Links calander.   I think it was august.

Y3a
_____________________________
Ken
	That is an O. Winston Link photo. I recall that the Virginia Museum
of Transportation in Roanoke has them for sale framed and unframed.
Hope this helps.

Jon Kelley
_____________________________
 From your description you are looking for "Hot Shot" , an O. Winston Link
photo
of the Iaeger Drive-In form 1955.  The Va. Museum of Transportation has a
number
of the OWL posters available, I'm not sure if this is one or not.

R.D. Williams
_____________________________
I ordered one from the following company.  They were selling these via
eBay.  Be
warned, however, I've had two shipped to me and both were damaged due to poor
packaging.  Be sure to pay extra for insurance, even though neither of mine was
insured!  I've now got to send both back, at my expense, and wait for a third.
I've specified that the next one be sent in a stiff cardboard tube, not USPS
Priority Mail box.

ShanWa Graphics  (washa at wavecom.net)
--
Jerry A. Shepardson

N&W - Precision Transportation
Thanks, Fred, I've ordered the book and am one step away from owning the
print itself once I have the details.

Thanks again,

Ken Moon

P.S.  Need any help with SP or ATSF, give me a buzz.