[N&W] Re: Hagerstown

Thu May 6 22:52:25 EDT 2004

A good start would be to check out Mason Cooper's book on the Shenandoah
Valley RR.  You will get a good look at what train consists were from the
earliest days right up to the 1990's.  Hagerstown would be an interesting
junction to model.  In the days before the Pennsy had to divest itself of
its 33% ownership of N&W (a condition of the N&W, NKP, WAB merger) most
traffic was interchanged with Pennsy.  As I recall, the amount interchanged
with the WM and the B&O at Shenandoah Jct. increased.

Shomo yard was and is of modest size.  It was always switched by PRR
locomotives, but the expenses were split between the two railroads.  Until
recent years a small car repair facility was part of the yard.  At one time
there was also an icing facility for reefers.  At the far north end of the
yard was a small 3 stall engine house.  It was built in roundhouse
configuration, but no turntable existed.  It sat in the middle of a wye
which was used to turn engines.  There was a large concrete coaling tower
and a large water tower.  The water was delivered to engines via
standpipes.  Father north toward downtown Hagerstown was the passenger
station, originally built by the Cumberland Valley RR.  At least in my
lifetime, the passenger trains were run throughs with only a change of
motive power. Up until 1957, the N&W postal-baggage was cut out in
Hagerstown, and parked on a siding right in front of the station.  It laid
over 24 hours until heading south the next night. There were two through
tracks with the siding between them. About '57 or '58, the tracks were
moved about 200 ft. west of the station and elevated to eliminate grade
crossings.  The station remained open but an elevated platform with baggage
elevator was built.  That is still there after all these years, but the
station was demolished in the 1970's.  It closed after passenger service
ended in 1962.  The freight station, used by both roads, sat two blocks
north of the passenger station.

.  Depending on the time period you want to model you probably know by now
what N&W power you will need.  However, in steam days, Pennsy ran 2-10-0's
and 2-8-2's in freight service.  I think a K-4 was used for passenger
service.  However I do have a pic of an E-6 Atlantic in Hagerstown.  A B-6
0-6-0 worked the passenger station and did chores around town, but I think
the larger power worked the yard.  For the diesel era, most of the common
EMD and Alco products of both roads could be seen in Hagerstown.  I recall
seeing the southbound passenger train come in from Harrisburg one evening
in 1960 with a single unit, red Alco PA.  I don't recall helpers on N&W
during steam days.  The freights were relatively short by today's
standards, but boy, did they run fast!  The 1960's brought a lot of unit
coal trains on the scene, with frequent helpers.  This was not so much for
horsepower needs, but to prevent slack action from pulling the trains
apart.  The Shenandoah Division has a sawtooth profile, and slack would run
in and out of lengthy trains breaking knuckles.  Some years ago, there was
a feature in Model Railroader on an N scale layout representing PRR's
Cumberland Valley line.  It had a representation of the N&W connection,
with some N&W motive power included.    I hope all this info is enough to
get you interested in using this as your layout theme.

Rick Morrison