N&W in 1909--NRH&W
NW Mailing List
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Mon May 25 21:12:20 EDT 2009
Bluefield Daily Telegraph
September 24, 1909
WORK PROGRESSES FAST ON BLAND'S NEW ROAD
Big Band Mill With Capacity of 75,000 to 100,000 Feet Daily to be Installed at Round Bottom
P. V. Widner, manager of the Bluefield office for the J. J. Wilkinson Lumber Company of Bristol, Tenn., returned last night from Phlegar, Va., on the new railroad being built to Rocky Gap, Bland county, and he gained the information that the Wilson Lumber Company of North Carolina is making preparations to install a big band mill at Round Bottom, two miles from Rocky Gap, to cut the timber on a large tract which it owns. The Wilson people are large operators and have an extensive plant at the mouth of Wilson Creek in North Carolina. The daily capacity of the Bottom Creek mill will be between 75,000 and 100,000 feet.
Mr. Widener says that work is proceeding rapidly on the extension of the New River, Holston and Western railroad. Four miles of track has been laid from Phlegar, the termination of the old road, and the grade for the rest of the distance, about four miles to Rocky Gap, the present proposed terminus, is well under way. The new part of the road from Phlegar to Rocky Gap is eight miles in length. The entire distance from Narrows where the line connects with the Norfolk and Western is almost twenty miles. The new road opens up one of the finest timber and iron sections in the country.
[It looks as though the reporter has finally gotten the mileage right after giving an erroneous figure in an early article. Also, N&W Annual Reports maps 1903 -- 1911 showed the end of the NRH&W at Penvir [c. 5 miles from Narrows), but obviously it had been extended to Phlegar by 1909.]
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the NW-Mailing-List