N&W in 1904 -- Short Lines

NW Mailing List nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org
Fri Nov 23 16:04:58 EST 2007

Woodmont? I've never hear the area called that. The name of it is Fairwood. Perhaps that was the previous name for it. But, to answer the question, no, there's nothing left. The property now belongs to the US forest service, and everything has been demolished. There are a few switchbacks in the mountains behind Fairwood going up to the top of Pine Mountain, but that's about it.

Ben Blevins

NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
OK, where is Woodmont today? Is there anything remaining?
Charlie Long

-----Original Message-----

>From: NW Mailing List

>Sent: Nov 23, 2007 9:51 AM

>To: N&W Mailing 1List

>Subject: N&W in 1904 -- Short Lines



> ------

>Building of Short Lines Develops Vast Tracts of Timber

> ------

> The Virginia and Southern Railroad Co. has completed its line of railway from Sugar Grove, Smythe county, Va., to Woodmont, in Grayson county. Sugar Grove is the terminal of the Rye Valley Railroad, with which the Virginia Southern connects thereby giving an outlet from Woodmont to Marion, on the main line of the Norfolk and Western.

> The town of Woodmont is in the center of the 20,000 acres of timber land owned by the Grayson Lumber Co. The company has two or three large saw mills at that point, and others soon to be started. Besides the saw mills, Woodmount can boast of one wholesale house, a good hotel, and a few handsome dwellings.

> A great deal of lumber will be manufactured into spokes, handles, and furniture of all descriptions, and the finished product shipped over the railroad to Marion, and there find its way to the markets of the world.

> Woodmont will also be the shipping point of the Douglass Land Co. This company has decided to cut into lumber its vast acreage of timber adjoining the lands of the Grayson Lumber Co.

> In the eastern part of Grayson, the Norfolk and Western Railway Company has extended its line from Blair to Galax, a distance of three miles. Galax is situated on the boundary line between Carroll and Grayson about two miles east of Old Town, on the main turnpike leading from Hillsville to Independence.


>Bluefield Daily Telegraph

>August 10, 1904


>Gordon Hamilton

NW-Mailing-List at nwhs.org
To change your subscription go to
Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/attachments/20071123/c22cfc9b/attachment.htm>

More information about the NW-Mailing-List mailing list