Prototypical Trucks

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 9 13:54:40 EDT 2024

Thank you Ken, Jim N and Jim B.

I have spent the last few weeks down this rabbit hole and trying to familiarize myself with the subject of trucks. I thought I had a good basic knowledge... Oh how I was wrong.

I found Richard Hendrickson's presentation, also one that had been expanded on by another individual, can't remember his name and in fear of breaching any regs I'm loath to distribute.

An article by Jeff Wilson originally in MR also expands the topic and a series of articles by the late Bob Hundman in 1993 Mainline Modellers. There is a well reputed article in June 2018s MRH (I admit I have not read that in detail yet)

Little to nothing has gone into N&W specific truck details...

As noted the spotting feature of the T-81 is that it is a plain bearing 70 ton truck with 3 visible springs at the front of the spring pack. It is also 5'8" wheelbase. I also noted that about level with the bottom of the spring pack, there is an angle in the sideframe.

Most trucks with the angle in the side frame are either 50T with 2 springs or later and equipped with Roller bearings.

The nearest truck I have found so far is a Kadee 566 but is branded as a Barber S2...

Nothing model wise branded as an ASF design matches and I always attributed the "buckeye" designation as related to tri-axle heavy duty trucks but alas maybe buckeye is a patent style or design that like so many other terms has been miss described or associated as described in Richard Hendrickson presentation. Again more research needed.

I have searched Tahoe, Moloco, Tangent, Scaletrains, Walthers, PSC and probably others too.

Tahoe do make nice trucks and two of theirs do match N&W prototypes; TMW-105 is spot on for a T-98 and TMW-108 is pretty bang on for a T-64

I am trying to build up a spreadsheet with what information about particular truck classes and then where I can match a model offering. I will trawl the online archives for drawings and match what I can.

Again if anyone has researched a particular truck class or particular trucks for a particular car and wishes to share and save me the research on that particular truck that would be much appreciated.

Regards

Martin