Rolling stock for 1/2 in the early diesel era

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Apr 23 15:33:28 EDT 2024

My Stuart's Draft module will be visited daily by Trains 1/2 led by a Redbird GP-9. 500, 507 and 515 appear in Mason Cooper's Shenandoah Valley Line book, although surely others were there. Unless I shorten some J shells to make streamlined K-2s I will be using diesel power. Unstreamlined K-1 Mountains and E-2 Pacifics can play the part in earlier eras. Looking into New York Train 1-2 consists, after 1958, I found photos in the 2000 edition of the Warden/Miller book that show GP-9 diesel 500, heavyweight BMf RPO, a heavyweight BEj storage mail, Pg divided coach still wearing its name train Powhatan Arrow logo, S-1 sleeper Scioto County with corrugated Budd roof, and D-1 diner-lounge 1213 with the markers. Some research on P-1 cars 501 and 502, used on trains 1 & 2 after 1958 shows they were three-compartment streamlined coaches with 40 seats and two restrooms for white passengers, a 12 seat smoking section, and 16 seats for "colored" passengers with a single restroom. The forward section was a diner crew bunkroom when these cars ran on the Arrow. The diner crew on 1/2 spent the night in Waynesboro so the P-1 provided sufficient segregated accommodations for all passengers.
Jeff CorneliusModeling the Shenandoah ValleyIn North Texas