BLI Y-6 wishes

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Apr 25 17:23:15 EDT 2022

There were three "relatively" low cost articulate models with correct
articulation:

   - Mantua 2-6-6-2
   - Bowser 4-6-6-4
   - Bowser 4-8-8-4

The Bowser 4-6-6-4 built stock with no detail parts added will go around
18" radius curves - and have more than two inches of overhang at the
front.  As soon as any of the "extra" detail parts are added, the minimum
radius climbs very quickly, figure at least 30"R MIN if you want the
exhaust from the front cylinders or the large steam piping to the front
cylinders.

Most people would rather compromise the articulation for the tight curves
with some additional detail.   Currently and/or recently produced UP Big
Boy models from Athearn, BLI, RIvarossi and Trix all have compromised
articulation and are selling well.  Manufacturers are only willing to take
so much risk.  An equivalently detailed model to any of those four with
correct articulation would be limited to something greater than 36" R MIN.
And for the models that are just going to be shelf or round house queens;
it doesn't matter because no one will see it go round a curve.

I own a couple of the Mantua 2-6-6-2 models, a Bowser 4-6-6-4, a couple
Oriental Powerhouse Y3a, a couple P2K Y3a, a couple Rivarossi Y6b, a BLI
Y6b, a couple BLI A and a brass A.  The articulation  used to bother me,
but when running a train on a layout it is not really noticeable.

Nigel