BLI Y-6 wishes

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Apr 23 21:41:10 EDT 2022

Good for you! As a doctor I'm sure you have enough money to buy $800-1,200 brass ones that don't wiggle.
The BLI and AHM/Rivarossi articulateds were designed for the average modelers who must live with ridiculously tight curves. Try a KEY Y-4 on 18-22"r and see what happens.
I appreciate your thoughts and you are 100% right about these drives being wrong. That's just not how an articulated works. Abomonation? I don't think so. They were created to sell engines to guys that can operate them. They run well and serve the purpose.
As a very young modeler I returned home from a trip watching N&W steam to find my local hobby shop had the "new" Y-6b models. I had saved my grass cutting money and forked over the huge sum, for me, of $19.99 for one. I took it home and put it on my 18" layout and it ran like a dream. That's what AHM/Rivarossi was after.
I think people miss the whole point with our model trains that, first and foremost, they are simply toys with electric motors! Some are on the high end like the brass stuff but in the end they are toys. We generally do not buy nor want museum quality models as they would be too expensive and wouldn't operate well if everything were 100% to scale. Look at the excess detail on PSC A & Y models. Making them run reliably is difficult with all the fine details around the wheels. That stuff is beautiful but not practical on a layout which will have derailments bending and causing shorts.
My 2¢.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works