Class J in ho scale

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Oct 23 20:47:12 EDT 2021

Hi Jeff,

Out of the 3 commercially available HO Scale class J’s (Bachmann Spectrum, BLI and MTH), I’ve owned examples of the first two.  Between the Spectrum and the BLI, I prefer the BLI.

My Spectrums were early runs and my BLI’s are Paragon 1’s (QSI).  My Spectrum engines did not pull well on the somewhat steep ruling grade on my layout.  I also felt that the paint and detail rendering on the BLI was better.  I have not had any mechanical problems on my BLI J’s.  A friend of mine had a gear meshing problem on one of his BLI J’s.

My first Soectrum had the drawbars on the lead and trailing trucks mismatched.  Once that was corrected it ran much better.  I think the Spectrum J’s have also been improved since the early runs.  Hopefully someone else can offer some feedback on an MTH J.  I hope this is helpful.

Kind Regards,
Chris Dalton
Bluefield, WV

Sent from my iPhone