heavyweight passenger cars

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Aug 30 11:09:49 EDT 2021

 I would suggest you make them N&W cars, as Virginian did not have anything like them. The baggage car you describe is similar to an N&W 1301 series express car. The other must be an Athearn Pullman, and N&W had a few heavyweight Pullmans, including Chilhowie. When painted and lettered for N&W, they got gold stripes, just like the streamlined cars. Tan would be a good inside color for it. Up until about 1955, the standard roof color was dark brown (which got dirty fairly soon, tending to look more like black) and the trucks were painted a shade of green close to Pullman green. My father called it "olive drab." After 1955 roofs and trucks were painted black. Even the car ends were painted black.
Jim Nichols