Changing Kato Side frames

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sun Jun 27 16:19:32 EDT 2021

So to finish out this mini clinic, we will add new truck wires, the Kato wheel guides/pick up and the guides going into the truck.

First we want to hardwire the pick up wires.  The standard on these is a slide on clip to the axle guide.  The wires need to be ahead of the truck bolster.
I recommend marking the wire attachment and soldering on new wires:

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750787.pXidOjuI.jpg <https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750787.pXidOjuI.jpg>

The holes in the back of the Atlas side frame need a slight enlargement to accept the Kato axle guide.

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750788.mixPlNcx.jpg <https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750788.mixPlNcx.jpg>

The next two pictures show the Kato truck with the brake shoes. Since the Atlas side frame has the triple clasp detail we will remove these.

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750789.CHskySYs.jpg <https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750789.CHskySYs.jpg>

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750790.2oRfddhW.jpg <https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750790.2oRfddhW.jpg>

Next we want to test fit everything and then CA the electrical pickup strip with our new wire and the guides removed from a set of Kato side frames.
We hope to end up with a new looking truck like this:

https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750792.ExBMpx6H.jpg <https://a4.pbase.com/g12/39/1314139/2/171750792.ExBMpx6H.jpg>

Questions?

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC