Sergeant couplers

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed May 26 08:41:04 EDT 2021

Tom,

Not Really.  The only way your curves affect the couplers is when you use the narrow shank and the Accurail boxes.   There is little to
no side to side movement with these coupler boxes.  I have used Moloco draft gear with no problem on curves down to 20 inches and thru number 5 turnouts.  Basically if the coupler can move side to side it will make the curve.  I do have passenger cars with the H couplers that do not even like 36 in curves but there is no movement in the coupler boxes.  All the tight lock F and H couplers hold just like their real counter parts.
Now Sergent couplers do not do well on elevation changes as there is little horizontal movement.  So if you have grades that easement needs to be very subtle.  I have grades up to 3% and once the trains are on the grade there is no problem.  I had to make minor adjustments in places where the grade meets level track.

Sergent couplers will let you know where the are track problems.  So if you make the change please know you might have to do some minor track work.  I will add also that I have Code 100, 83, 70 and 55 rail and run a lot of 0.88 wheel sets.  Even as I built my layout I checked my work.  Once I had trains running I still found and still finding areas for improvement.

I hope this helps.

> On May 26, 2021, at 07:20, NW Modeling List via NW-Modeling-List <nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
>
> Just curious. Since they are more realistic do the require the layout to have broad curves?
>
> Tom Lewis

James Wall
Rural Hall, NC