Roanoke Shops sign

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue May 25 14:19:36 EDT 2021

Ken Miller,

THANKS!!  I have been searching everywhere on-line to no avail.  Appreciate the tip very much; an important addition.

Yes, I realize the sign to which you provided a link is not “correct” for the steam era.  Is it even correct for the post-steam era?  (I suspect it might not be.)  As you anticipated, I would prefer the attached.  But, regrettably, that sign (the one we all know so well) is not available (unless I want to commission a run of 500!).  So, I’ll apply the rule:  “It’s my layout, I make the rules . . .."  For example, I have a formerly NY Central Mikado that looks perfect after being reliveried, even though N&W had no Mikados on the system.  Plenty of mid-size steamers on the old N&W system, however, so the Mikado bearing N&W livery fits right in on the layout with my MTH “J” and BLI “A” (plus a non-running Yb6 being worked on on a siding in the steam locomotive service area).

This sign is better than nothing (and close to iconic); and most people seeing my layout will not know the difference.  On the other hand, if you are ever able to visit and see my layout (when it’s done), then you alone will have a dispensation to criticize the sign as not quite correct!

Thanks again,
Bill D
N&W Steam Only

P.S.  Was able to catch the N&W J 611 arriving late last evening in Manassas as well as departing this morning; and then again under full chat through Marshall, Va. heading west and north.