N&W 2-8-8-2 Steam Engine

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Mar 1 19:54:37 EST 2021

Jack, I’ll add another spotting feature to Jim’s comment cab comment. This one will help separate Y6 subclasses (Y6, Y6a and Y6b) from earlier Y class/sub-classes (i.e., Y5, Y4a, Y4, Y3b, Y3a and Y3)

Y6 sub-classes all had outside-frame leading and trailing trucks. I.e., you can’t see the wheel faces.
Example:
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=205824 <https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=205824>
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=203697 <https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=203697>

Y5 and earlier all had inside frame leading and trailing trucks. The spoked wheel faces stand out and make this an easy spot.
Examples:
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=176410 <https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=176410>
https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=176409 <https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=176409>

Beyond that and the straight/slant cab faces that separate older from newer classes, differences become more and more subtle - until you know what you’re looking for, that is!

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US