EXTERNAL: H9 - H10 market potential

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Jan 14 16:14:45 EST 2021

Jim:

Another possibility, given that you have drawings, would be to make a 3D CAD model, and 3D print it.  I just got a Phrozen Mini 4K 3D printer; my selection was based on its ground-breaking 0.035mm X-Y resolution, which I think will produce attractive HO models without requiring post-print surface finishing.  Print volume is ~5.2" x 2.9" x 5.1", which should be enough to do a 2-bay hopper in a single (but very protracted!) build.  Cost <$400 these days, plus the 3D CAD SW cost; the Phrozen (like most 3D printers) comes with "slicing" SW included.

Don't ask me how I like it, as I am still working on my first CAD models, and haven't attempted a print yet. (I chose the New Haven's Van Nest electric loco shops for a first project, since it includes steel trusses, steel columns, brick walls, some pre-form concrete elements, lacy industrial windows and transoms, and a boatload of machinery detail bits, including two traveling cranes.)  Of course, any intelligent human would have chosen to start with a cube, or a sphere.  But NOOOOO...

If other modelers are into 3D CAD modeling, you could form a Co-Op to crowd-source the required CAD files (e.g., somebody does the air reservoir, somebody does the hoppers, etc; you could even separate out each individual side panel, if there's enough discipline to make the interfaces between models compatible.  At the end, every contributor gets all the files (or the joint file, integrated by one of your number.)  Then you could all go to Shapeways or do your own printing, as you each see fit.  You might also earn some payback for the Co-Op by marketing the model kits through Shapeways.

I think your product idea is spot on.  I'd join your Co-Op!

Best,

-Eric Bott