Work Session Volunteers Requested, November 19, 20, 21

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Nov 13 12:45:55 EST 2020

Volunteers Requested November 19-20-21!

Hopefully, we can get all this done. We are down to our last session (we hope!) for moving from GOB-East in Roanoke to our Shenandoah Avenue Annex.

We have had three sessions so far, 2 in August and one last week. We moved an incredible amount of material, but we still have more to go.

I’m pleased to announce that Norfolk Southern has been very generous with us, giving us a large number of drawings AND drawing cabinets. We need to vacate the premises of GOB East by the end of the month. With any luck, we can get this completed in another session, but we are also dependent on other folks to complete this task.

What we have newly been given is some remarkable stuff, drawings we can only imagine. And that is only with very limited inspection. On inspecting about 10 drawings, we pulled out a pre-1871 drawing of the “intersection” of the R&W and South Side and Norfolk and Petersburg, the only drawings I’ve ever seen labeled as “Roanoke and Southern” a rare map of Lynchburg, and a Tidewater drawing of the tower at South Norfolk and some others. Several very reduced samples are attached.

I have negotiated a nightly rate of $49.99 with the Motel Six that is located just off of I-81 Exit 137 in Salem. At the bottom of the ramps, turn right on Wildwood Road, and it is just down the street on the right It is convenient to Salem eateries and shopping centers along Route 11/460/West Main Street.

While rather rudimentary, certainly not either The Hotel Roanoke or The Greenbrier, it is, nonetheless, clean and functional. Rooms have cable TV, and a microwave and refrigerator are provided. Most importantly, I have stayed there many times without encountering bed bugs!

Each morning, we will report to the N&WHS Salem Ave. archives between by 8:30 a.m., with the work to commence shortly thereafter.

As long as this COVID-19 Pandemic continues, social distancing needs to be practiced and masks must be worn while on N&WHS or NS premises at all times.

I look forward to working with fellow members and others who wish to participate, Please contact me at 304-633-8512 or send an email to: caseyatkenova at aol.com <mailto:caseyatkenova at aol.com> or Ken Miller at miller at nwhs.org <mailto:miller at nwhs.org>

Thanks!

Respectfully

TIM HENSLEY
President, N&WHS