Express Boxcar? Mail Car?

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Sep 28 22:34:43 EDT 2020

 N&W built 10 box express cars in 1929, class Ef. Dimensionally, they were sililar to the class BSb box cars which Roanoke built about the same time. Both had arched roofs I think the brand name was "Viking".), but the Ef's had flat ends rather than Dreadnaught ends as on the BSb's. Over the years the trucks varied. During and shortly after WWII they had Allied full cushion trucks, which were later outlawed for interchange service. In the end they rode on standard Bettendorf type trucks. In 1942 N&W converted 10 of the BSb box cars to similar box express cars, class Eg. They differed from the Ef's by having Dreadnaught ends, into which Roanoke cut openings for end doors. Both groups had a single side door which was similar to a passenger baggage car door. After the end of passenger service two of the Ef's were converted to power cars. Check the archives on the N&WHS websight for diagrams and/or photos of the Ef and Eg.
Probably the easiest mail car to model is the BMf baggage-mail. I know they ran on the Bluestone branch. The old AHM/Rivarossi/IHC car is almost a dead ringer for the BMf. You might want to rearrange the underbody components and change some roof details, but the body is pretty close as is. The BMg (which ran on several branches including the Abingdon) would require extensive kitbashing.
If you can find a copy of Vern French's Williamson Terminal book on ebay or Amazon, I recommend it highly for a reasonably priced source of photos and information. Jim Nichols