Wig Wags

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Jul 21 14:26:35 EDT 2020

Not color, but here’s wonderful detail view of a very newly installed wig-wag in Circleville. The photo was taken in 1938-ish; the wig-wags were installed on this particular street in the past year.

Again, it’s not color, but it’s easy to see the value of arm, compared to things that are black (lettering on the cross buck).

This particular wig-wag was two axis; one arm to protect the crossing street, and one to warn the parallel street. This setup was common at almost all crossings in the city.

Lastly, the newspapers of the early thirties used what I assume was N&W language and referred to them as “flash light” signals. By the time a second batch was put in (such as this one), the newspapers called them wig wags.

https://www.loc.gov/item/2017732446/

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US