Pennsy P85 Coaches

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jun 27 22:09:56 EDT 2020

Until mid 1959 the Pocahontas had both a through Norfolk-Chicago coach and sleeper. That is why you see a PRR coach in many photos. I don't know if an N&W coach in the Chicago "pool" but I expect so. These through coach assignments were an amenity that coach riders in an earlier age probably didn't have. The first timetable I have which shows a Chicago sleeper was in 1948, but the through coach started at a later date, closer to 1950. PRR didn't always provide the luxury of a P85. I have read that on one occasion the PRR coach was something like a P70kr and there were passenger complaints about how rough the car rode.

The Cannonball coach ran Norfolk-Washington, later cut back to Richmond.  Also in the 1950's there was a through coach which ran Norfolk-Washington on a daylight schedule.  Handled Norfolk-Petersburg on the Pocahontas, then an N&W-ACL short run to Richmond.  RF&P to Washington. That car route ended by the beginning of 1959.  Trains 1 & 2 for decades had coach service all the way Roanoke- Harrisburg, PA.  As long as N&W was in the passenger business N&W coaches ran off-line on the Pelican and the Birmingham Special.  All these runs kept clerks busy adding up mileage to calculate per diem charges.

--Rick Morrison