C31 modeling question

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Apr 29 21:58:15 EDT 2020

I haven't been on this list for very long, but I've never seen it
discussed.

I 3D printed the propane tank on Shapeways and used the Moloco cupola on
mine. I asked about it on one of the old Yahoo groups and Jonathan
Vincent collected some measurements for me. I got drawings for it from
the NWHS.

Here's the 3D printed propane tank model:

http://shpws.me/Mrgu

And here's a shot of my caboose:

https://pbase.com/mecrharris/image/163792944

I didn't get the Moloco side filler parts to fit perfectly on my
caboose, but on subsequent models I've done a better job. The one beef I
have with the Moloco parts for this is the non-overhanging roof. It's
good for the Great Northern caboose it was designed for, but a stand-in
for the C31. I'd start with a standard cupola caboose if I were to build
this model today, but it wasn't an option at the time.

Ryan Harris
Fort Worth, TX