Questions re: Abingdon Br modeling

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Apr 10 19:57:35 EDT 2020

I've narrowed my modeling focus to circa 1957 Abingdon Branch so I can model
steam and early diesel.  While my plan will be based on the branch (single
track, sharp curves, lots of scenery, minimal industry), I am "enhancing"
the prototype's customer base to include a coal mine or two and West
Jefferson customers who handled retail coal and tank cars (coal/oil dealer
with trestle), covered hoppers (cement?) and a team track to load untreated
crossties, which was a common sight in many 1950s trains.  If I can fit it
in, I may create a small cattle pen and chute to justify an occasional stock
car (yes, I read the current ARROW with great interest!).

I am aware of 2 modeling articles related to the Branch:  1 is in an Ian
Rice shelf layout book (Damascus), 1 is a more recent MR article about
building a 9x11 bedroom-sized, 2-level layout.  I have a 13x13 room with
access via an S-curved, drop down section thru the room's door to a 16 ft
long shelf that will be used for staging.

I have 3 questions:

1.	When was the branch's passenger train annulled?  The attached image
came from ebay a few years ago.  Is the date/location info accurate?  I can
easily run this length train with a single black Geep or Redbird.
2.	Are there modeling articles, trackplans, comments, etc. OTHER than
the 2 publications I mentioned above?  I have most of the proto info (Link's
book/s, TRAINS articles, etc.).  I'm interested in modeling both Abingdon
stations as building flats to make room for a couple yard tracks and would
use the lowest layout level for mainline action between Bristol and points
east, just like the MR article.
3.	Has anyone on this list modeled the branch?

Jim King

http://smokymountainmodelworks.com/