Bridges on the N&W

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Feb 7 20:14:37 EST 2020

I am a newbie here and thank you for letting me join.
By way of introduction, I am in the middle of the first stage of an HO layout: converting an older DC layout -- that never got beyond the track-laying stage -- to DCC.  I had planned an "all steam" layout (serious steam fan) and, until recently, that meant (to me) just freight trains (2 of them).  I wasn't aware of any steam-power passenger rail service that particularly moved me.
Well, then I found (a photo) of the N&W J 4-8-4 Northern steam locomotive (#611) [WOW!!!], and the more I investigated the more I fell in love with the MTH N&W J steam engine and the MTH passenger car set.  Of course, then I discovered that both were nearly unattainable.  Well, fortunately I was able to purchase a new MTH N&W J locomotive on eBay and, after 29 calls to MTH dealers, I located a new passenger car set.  (Bought the locomotive only after I's acquired the matching passenger car set.)  The two form a spectacular passenger train that will add a new dimension to my layout.
N&W layout here we come.  Converted names on tenders of my two freight locomotives (a Bachmann and an MTH) to "Norfolk & Western" markings.  (At this point I'm not worrying about numbering on the locomotives -- I know, heresy, but I am trying not to be slavishly committed to authenticity at the smallest detail.)  Planning on one freight train being a uni-train hauling 50-ton N&W coal hamper cars.
The layout is a modified version of a plan called the "Granite Gorge and Northern" published by Atlas (Layout HO-28).  Basically my layout is a figure 8 with two reversing segments that allow trains to reverse direction both ways.  Significant features are large bridges across a deep/narrow river/stream and mountainous terrain that features several tunnels.
I would like to locate possible prototype geographic locations for reference.  Does anyone know a source of info. on river crossings and large bridges on the N&W, preferably in hilly/mountainous regions?   I don't intend  to model them with precision, but it would be nice to be able to identify a nearby town by an actual town name on the N&W system, or a mine location on the layout by the actual name of a mine served by the N&W in the mid-1950s.
Bill Demarest