RS-11 horn

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Tue Dec 24 21:41:43 EST 2019

I have a bunch of N&W Locomotive Equipment manuals produced by N&W's Motive
Power and Equipment organization.  Both the 1965 and 1980 publications (not
many 300 series RS11's in service in 1980) identify the horn type on the
locomotive as  Nathan P135 -R24's.  I have many pictures I've taken of N&W
300 series RS11's in the 70's and into the 80's and the horns are different
on various units during that period. RAPIDO has factory set the horns as a
Nathan P3........and it certainly doesn't sound very N&W.  I've done some
internet searches for the sound of the Nathan P135-R24 with no luck.   I've
got all 4 blue models so I'm likewise looking for the right or best
possible horn sound settings.    If all else fails I'll set mine to CV
163=3 which is a Leslie RS-5TRF.  The N&W had lots of RS5T's on their
locomotives so at least this would sound N&W.  I'll continue searching for
the sound of the Nathan P135-R24.

Ed Painter Member 70:  from Narrows, VA living in Cohutta, GA