HO Passenger Cars

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Dec 20 11:11:53 EST 2019

 Tom: The correct shade of red has been a debate among N&W fans for years. To my eye, the Spectrum cars are not bad, and most Rivarossi cars are a little dark. The problem is that a shade which matches the official chip will look too dark on a model (It's a lighting problem). So we have to experiment to mix a shade which will "look" like what we remember. Rivarossi did a series of cars for Bachmann some years back which were much brighter than the ones they did for AHM. They came in boxes marked "Bachmann." (This was before the Spectrum cars.) I don't like the red on the IHC cars. It is too brown and not red enough. The red on the Branchline Pullman kits is just a little too dark to my eyes, but I can live with it.
The roofs were brown until the mid-1950's, but the brown on the Rivarossi cars is not dark enough. Over time, the brown roofs tended to look more black, but a freshly shopped car would have a definitely dark brown roof. That is, until the mid-1950's, when black became the new standard roof color. (They started painting ends black at the same time.)
Jim Nichols