Potential Brass Surrogates, Virginian PAs

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Nov 4 11:44:18 EST 2019

I got to thinking about what models might make good donors for a VGN PA project.  I looked through www.steamlocomotive.com<http://www.steamlocomotive.com> (outstanding web site), and discovered that the C&O F-17, CIL K-1 & K-2, CRI&P P-28 & P-32, MP P-69, NP Q-1 through Q4, and Rutland K-1 all had 69” drivers, and within a foot of the PA’s driver wheelbase.  The overall engine wheelbases differed by a bit more, but could be corrected by lengthening or shortening the lead truck and/or trailing truck pivot-to-axle lengths by a bit.

Of these prototypes, HO models have been made of only the C&O F-17 (PFM, Key, Challenger), the NP Q-1 through Q-4 (W&R and PSC), and the Rutland K-1 (NERS).  O models have only been made of the NP Q-4 (PSC).

Other dimensions/features of potential interest:

VGN PA               C&O F-17            NP Q-1                NP Q-2                           NP Q-3                NP Q-4                Rutland K-1
Driver Dia                         69”                       69”                       69”                       69”                             69”                       69”                       69”
Driver WB                         12.17’                  13’                       12’                       12’                             12’                       12’                       13’
Engine WB                        34.75’                  34.75’                  32.5’                    33.41’                             32.5’                    32.5’                    35.83’
Cyl Bore x Stroke             26”x28”              27”x28”              22”x26”              16.5”x26”           24.5”x26”           23”x26”              25”x28”
Engine Wt                         298,000#            312,605#            225,500#              240,000#            236,000#            237,600              278,000#
Valve Gear                        Baker                  Walschaert        Stephenson              Walschaert        Walschaert        Walschaert        Walschaert

It is seen that the NP engines were very small compared to the PA.  On the other hand, if you’re an O-scaler, maybe you start with a PSC Q-4 chassis, and do a complete new superstructure.  In HO scale, the C&O F-17 and Rutland K-1 look like better bets, with cylinders “close enough” in bore and stroke, and the 5% - 7% weight difference means that one might even be able to use much of the C&O or Rutland boiler.  I have to admit, though, that a Baker-to-Walschaert conversion would be a problem for me.  PFM made quite a few runs of the F-17, and with Key and Challenger models available, a modeler should have a range of economy donors through superbly engineered chassis/drive mechanisms donors--if you can live with the 0.114” driver wheelbase error in the model.  The NERS model has a very nice mechanism as well, though not as detailed a frame as Challenger’s.  Both are fairly expensive.

Other prototypes that might be fairly close (e.g. 4” or less difference in driver dia) and have HO models:

VGN PA               B&O P-5              B&M P-2             CN/CV K-3b      DRGW P-44
Model Maker                   -                           Key                      OMI (HO & O)    OMI                             PFM
Driver Dia                         69”                       73”                       73”                       73”                             67”
Driver WB                         12.17’                  13’                       13’                       12’                             12.5’
Engine WB                        34.75’                  34.75’                  33.58’                  33.41’                             33.67’
Cyl Bore x Stroke             26”x28”              25”x28”              22”x28”              23”x28”              26”x26”
Engine Wt                         298,000#            277,000#            221,000#              240,880#            262,000#
Valve Gear                        Baker                  Baker                  Walschaert              Walschaert        Walschaert

The PFM D&RGW P-44 models are readily available and inexpensive.  I haven’t seen many of the Key B&O P-5’s on eBay, but the Baker gear is an attraction.  Greenway has a bunch of 69” drivers available, with both crescent or square weights, in light & medium or medium & heavy, counterweighting respectively.  If a decent set could be made up, I’d rather try to stuff them in the B&O model than the D&RGW model, just because going down in driver diameter is likely to leave more clearance between brake shoes and driver tires than going up in diameter.  For an O-scaler, the B&M P-2 would probably be a better (and cheaper) starting point than the NP option, because the B&M cylinders are correct in stroke, if not bore.

Best,

-Eric Bott