The Cavalier Drumhead (Rear Tail Sign)

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Oct 24 16:06:21 EDT 2019

To follow my comments and Jim’s below.

I’ve seen photos with the Memphis Special (predecessor to the Tennessean) with a tail sign (drumheads, by nature are round) that was a box shape, and the Tennessean had some round end cars with a tail sign (I believe) but they did not come through Roanoke to my knowledge. the last Pocahontas out of Roanoke carried a painted wooden sign on the platform car, and as mentioned, the Arrow had built in tail signs on the round-end cars.

I have seen a purported tail sign for the Pocahontas for sale some years back, but honestly believe it was a railfan fantasy item, not an authentic piece.

Ken Miller