Question about Class M, M-1 model steam locomotives

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Thu Oct 3 19:16:23 EDT 2019

I have a question about a detail I've noticed on some HO-scale models of N&W
Class M locomotives.

The link below shows a number of models of these engines. A couple of them
have a flat plate along the fireman's side walkway that's vertical up
against the boiler. I'm wondering if any of the real class M locomotives had
this or is it something that wasn't removed while the models were being
fabricated at the factory?

Here are examples model with this vertical flat plate:
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/38921

https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/Pdg/Detail/23820/HO-Steam-Sunset-Mode
ls-HO62-Norfolk-Western-4-8-0-M-1-12-WHEELER

Here's the page with several Class-M models. Only a couple noted above have
this feature. Most do not.
https://www.brasstrains.com/BrassGuide/PDG/List/Norfolk-Western-4-8-0/d444.8
5

Is it real?