BALLAST

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Fri Sep 20 12:27:05 EDT 2019

I've also used Arizona Rock for most of my ballast. It is a little
dusty compared to Woodland Scenics since it is actual ground rock and
not colored nut shells, but it does glue down better because of the
extra weight of the rock. Also, unlike a lot of the Woodland Scenics,
most of the Arizona Rock ballast is already a blend. I'm using the
N&W/ATSF Granular Snow for my mainline and yard ballast, and Kenneshaw
GA blend for my branch. I sprinkle in cinders of various sizes in my
mine and yard areas. Whether it's Woodland Scenics or Arizona Rock, I
personally find mixing the fine and medium ballast together results in
the best look.
Marty Flick