BALLAST

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Sep 18 16:37:29 EDT 2019

On my N&W 1950s HO layout and my previous layouts, I’ve always had very good luck with Arizona Rock & Mineral ballast.  It lays down very nice and stays down when applying the diluted white glue (i.e., it doesn’t float like some of the other brands).  AR&M offers their ballast in both N and HO scale.  I’ve used both and actually prefer the N scale for my HO layout—especially over the turnouts.  On the N&W layout, I used “PRR Light Gray” for the mainline and “Steam Era Mix for Yard Ballast” for the yards.

Best of luck,

Gary Hoover

(FYI, if you are in St. Louis for the 2020 NMRA convention, I’ll be on tour and giving some clinics.  Also, I believe the April 2020 MR will be featuring my layout.)

Sent from my iPad