BALLAST

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Wed Sep 18 10:26:16 EDT 2019

Some of that is dependent on location. The Scioto Division, for example, used slag for ballast - at least in the late thirties. That was probably due to the steel works Portsmouth.

For the mainline through Circleville, I’m using a fairly fine ballast (to mimic 3 1/2” down) from Scenic Express that is limestone in color. I’m also going to attempt a cinder subroadbed projecting out from the ballast line.

For the yards, use straight cinder.  I’ve been happy with Smith & Sons visually, though wetting it is more difficult than WS due to the amount of dust in it (although that fineness is key to its look, in my opinion).

Attached is a photo from my shelf layout with the Smith and Sons cinder. I’ve purchased a different brand of cinder that I have yet to try (both from Scenic Express).

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio

Sent from my mobile